"Sometimes the past is something you just can't let go of. And sometimes the past is something we'll do anything to forget. And sometimes we learn something new about the past that changes everything we know about the present."- Grey's Anatomy

Monday, January 24, 2011

Just the Begining

     At the age of 8 I learned how to fear. At age 10 I learned how to choose. At age 15 I learned to hate. At age 18 I learned to forget. At age 20 I'm learning how to change.
     I am a daughter. I am a sailor. I am a friend, a creator, and political activist. At times I tend to be neurotic and overwhelming, and many times touchy-feely things just down right annoy me. I am rough around the edges, and tend to come off as heartless or at least this is what i have been told. But just like every other human being I have things that hurt me and things that enlighten me. When I'm sitting in my office in the begining of the day with a hot cup of tea, watching the sun rise  I think to myself  ' yea this isnt so bad.' 
     I am a 20 year old woman, who has been on more journeys in her life then any 3 men on the street have tied their shoes. ABC's hit drama, Private Practice, has oddly enough helped me get through some of the biggest ordeals in my life. For instance at the same time the character Violet, played by the great Amy Brenneman, was going to trial for her attack (she was attacked by a patient) I was going to court against my rapist.  Watching this woman who had been "literally and figurativley gutted" - Shonda Rhimes, muster up the courage to face this woman, helped me gain the strength to do the same.  I was even lucky enough to get the chance to talk to Amy B! After telling her that her character helped inspire me to be more, and go through with the trial as hard as it was, she responded with  "Thank you for that, and good luck with the journey you are on. You sound like a courageous woman."  I am and always will be a dedicated to the show that helped me turn my life around. 
     I have learned a great ability of being able to change who you are. Some say that people cant change, that they only get better at covering it up. But i have seen it, and it is possible. There is always hope. My lifes story is too long to write all in my first post, but for now with the help of the amazing Internet I get to share my story with you. And if this is all a little choppy hang in there with me because I'm still learning! I look foward to sharing, observing, complaining and all of the above!
    

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! It takes more than just courage to sit at a computer and tell the world your story, you're someone's hero! I can't wait to read post after post.

    with love,
    Yasmine (your Twitter bestie:)

    ReplyDelete